Re: [INTERFACES] pgaccess on win95 connection

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Bill Barnes <bbarnes(at)operamail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] pgaccess on win95 connection
Date: 1999-11-30 00:58:00
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Bill Barnes wrote:
> >2.) On the server machine, in the file '/var/lib/pgsql/pg_hba.conf', you
> >will need to add a line allowing access to the database from the IP
> >address or hostname of the Windows machine. If I remember correctly, you

> Found in this file 2 lines:
> 'local all
> trust'
> 'host all 127.0.0.1 255.255.255.255.
> trust'
> While this is not the ultimate security :-) doesn't it render the host
> accessible.

No, it doesn't. This only allows access to localhost. Assume for a
minute that the Windows machine is address 10.21.34.98. You need a line:
host all 10.21.34.98 255.255.255.255

To give access to all hosts on the 10.21.34.0 network access:
host all 10.21.34.0 255.255.255.0

> Looks like I've got to do something here before I can go any farther.

Yes, it does.

> Thanks. I will look for these. And resurrect my Windows manuals.
> Started this effort with what I thought was lots of lead time. But you know
> what a Linux adventure is like. Consequently, I have less time now for both
> application development and basic research. So, what's new?

I remember well my adventure setting up PostgreSQL (then at version
6.1.1) on Linux to back a web server. The documentation wasn't as good
then, however.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio