Re: [HACKERS] Re: [GENERAL] drop/rename table and transactions

From: Vadim Mikheev <vadim(at)krs(dot)ru>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>, Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Lincoln Yeoh <lylyeoh(at)mecomb(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, PostgreSQL Developers List <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: [GENERAL] drop/rename table and transactions
Date: 1999-11-29 07:55:15
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > Wow, that is a major pain. Anyone else think so?
> >
> > Why it's so painful?
> > We can write utility to construct database dir with table names
> > symlinked to real table files -:)
> > Actually, I don't understand
> > for what would you need to know what is what, (c) -:)
>
> With Ingres, you can't just look at a file and know the table name, and
> if you need to reload just one file from a tape, it is a royal pain to
> know which file to bring back. I have said Ingres make things 100 times
> harder for adminstrators by doing this.

Moving table file to/off database dir separately is not right way for
backup/restore...

On-line/off-line full backup utility will copy _all_ database files to
_somewhere_ (tape etc) as well as on-line transaction logs
and pg_control (to know when was the last checkpoint made).
And to restore things after disk failure administrator will
have to copy _all_ files + logs (+logs made as incremental backup)
+ pg_control back and start postmaster.

Vadim