drop/rename table and transactions

From: Jaco de Groot <jaco(at)gospelsjop(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: drop/rename table and transactions
Date: 1999-11-25 20:36:01
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Every now and then I get the following error:

cannot write block 0 of tablename [username] blind

If this happens, all my database connections get this error when trying
to access the database and I need to restart postgresql. The problem
causing this error needs to be something like this:

create table table2 (col1 text);
insert into table2 (col1) values ('some data');
begin work;
drop table table1;
alter table table2 rename to table1;
commit;

I've been playing with some statements to repeat the error, but I
haven't
been able to succesfully repeat the error (only once, but doing the
same didn't cause the error again). Maybe it has something to do with
using multiple connections.

Trying some statements I found an other error, using these statements:

create table table1 (col1 text);
begin work;
drop table table1;
alter table table2 rename to table1;
create table table2 (col1 text);
commit;
select * from table1;

Caused:

couldn't open table1: No such file or directory

I'm using postgresql-6.5.2-1.i386.rpm.

Is the posgresql development team aware of these errors and will
they be fixed?

Gr. Jaco