Re: 8.4 release planning

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: 8.4 release planning
Date: 2009-01-28 22:04:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com> writes:
> Le 28 janv. 09 16:22, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com> a crit :
>> The only way to keep the dev window open longer is to overlap the
>> start of the next cycle with the previous one. i.e. branch new version
>> before final release.

> This is the second time the idea is raised and I like it.

> Do we have anywhere near enough resources for this to happen?

No. The key committers are overstressed already.

It would also pretty much guarantee that we get *no* help during review
and beta, because everyone else will find it more interesting/fun to
work on new patches instead. The current system at least gives
non-committer developers some motivation to help with that stuff,
because they know their patches won't be looked at until beta is over.