Re: [INTERFACES] Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 11:25:20 +1200

From: Jason Earl <jearl(at)box100(dot)com>
To: John Henderson <jrh(at)is(dot)com(dot)fj>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 11:25:20 +1200
Date: 1999-11-19 15:58:52
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

John Henderson wrote:

> Hi,
> Postgresql is installed on server moe and works just fine.
> I can access it using PHP scripts located on server moe or server bart.
> Pg.pm perl module is installed on server moe.
> I can access Postgres just fine using perl cgi's on moe.
> Isn't this a nice story?

It's a great story. Is there a sequel (SQL :)?

> Now, I want to use a perl script on server bart to access my PG installation
> on server moe but to install the Pg module on bart requires that Postgresql
> be installed first.

All you actually need is the library and include files. Copy them over
from moe. If you followed the default install they should be in
/usr/local/pgsql/lib and /usr/local/pgsql/include. Installing shared
libraries is a little different for each platform, but the fact that you
got these libraries to work on moe is generally a good sign.

> Ultimately, I want to use perl scripts spread all over the network to access
> the PG installation on one server only. I don't want to have to install
> postgres everywhere just to install the perl module.

If you have the libraries properly installed you should be able to
simply copy the relevant parts of your Perl installation over as well.
A couple of tarballs should be all you need.

Heck, if you are really ambitious it shouldn't be _too_ hard to roll
your own RPM or deb file (assuming of course you are using Linux or a
platform that uses RPM or deb files).

> I'm sure this is really obvious...advice?
> John H

Good Luck,
Jason