pg_sorttemps eating my drive!

From: "Bret A(dot) Barker" <bret(at)hypefiend(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg_sorttemps eating my drive!
Date: 1999-11-16 22:24:36
Lists: pgsql-bugs

                        POSTGRESQL BUG REPORT TEMPLATE

Your name               : Bret Barker
Your email address      : bret(at)hypefiend(dot)com

System Configuration
---------------------
  Architecture (example: Intel Pentium)         : Intel Pentium

  Operating System (example: Linux 2.0.26 ELF)  : Linux 2.0.35 ELF

  PostgreSQL version (example: PostgreSQL-6.5.3):   PostgreSQL-6.5.3

  Compiler used (example:  gcc 2.8.0)           : gcc 2.7.2.3

I just upgraded to PostgreSQL 6.5.3 from version 6.3.2 and now after a
bit of use (this is a databased website using PHP), Postgres starts
filling up my drive with pg_sorttemp files.  It appears that one of the
processes gets caught up and just keep churning out more sorttemps, as
the CPU load also hits the roof.

Any ideas what would be causing this?

My largest table is only about 2 MB.

Please describe a way to repeat the problem.   Please try to provide a

Unfortunately I'm not sure what query is causing this to happen.

If you know how this problem might be fixed, list the solution below:

                                                         bret a. barker
                                    cto, gamelet.com : bret(at)gamelet(dot)com
                     technical director, hypefiend : bret(at)hypefiend(dot)com
                    architect, stream magazine : architect(at)streammag(dot)com

pgsql-bugs by date

Next:From: Bret A. BarkerDate: 1999-11-16 22:50:12