Re: autovacuum ignore tables

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Sriram Dandapani" <sdandapani(at)counterpane(dot)com>
Cc: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: autovacuum ignore tables
Date: 2006-09-29 21:38:07
Lists: pgsql-admin

"Sriram Dandapani" <sdandapani(at)counterpane(dot)com> writes:
> Real question is: Why do the INSERTS go into wait state as soon as the
> lock table statement is issued on the parent?

If you were just inserting directly into other child tables, a lock on
either the parent or the target child table shouldn't affect them.
I wonder if you are using conditional rules to redirect the inserts,
and the rules include a reference to the target table? If that's the
case, you really need to drop the relevant rule before you remove the
child table, anyway.