Re: [INTERFACES] RE: THE Postgres WEB SITE

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: "'Byron Nikolaidis'" <byron(dot)nikolaidis(at)home(dot)com>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org, The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, Peter Mount <petermount(at)it(dot)maidstone(dot)gov(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] RE: THE Postgres WEB SITE
Date: 1999-11-12 14:38:15
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Dave Page wrote:

> I agree that the site does need better links to software and related
> projects. I've just had a look at the site to remind myself, and it is very
> difficult to find things (as I recall I previously used to look at the
> listing of the additional software on the distribution CD if I wanted to
> know what else was out there).

There certainly can be improvement to the existing site. However, I am
reminded of the site I saw over two years ago, when I was first
installing 6.1.1. I want to commend those who have improved the site
from what it was then -- documentation, organization, the mailing list
archives, the browseable CVS tree, etc, are light-years ahead of the
site then.

I fully expect, with the talent we have, that the site in two more years
will be even better.

So, while it would be nice to have more pointers to things such as
pgAdmin and pgBash (and I fully support a page of pointers!), the site
is in fairly good shape now.

Also, I believe that we should have a link to the Debian packages that
Oliver puts together somewhere on the download page. I would also like
to see someone start maintaining a package for Win32 that is a
self-extracting, fully installable/uninstallable setup -- having such a
streamlined installation for Win32, IMO, would be a big win. If we
can't ship the libraries required to run the Win32 (the CygWin stuff)
inside an installable package, I believe we should provide a link to
where the libraries can be located.

I remember what it was like getting installation details two years
ago.... It wasn't fun, but it was possible. What reminded me of that
was an e-mail question I received regarding the installation of the
RPM's. There are a few steps that I hadn't elaborated upon (because
they were trivially obvious to me) that were confusing an RPM user (a
rank newbie, at that -- man, it was a trip down memory lane explaining
to him how to get PostgreSQL up on RedHat....) -- now, the RPM
documentation will be better, due to his question.

OBTW: No, I'm not volunteering to maintain the Win32 packages -- I do
all my development work on Linux.

JMHO, of course.

--
Lamar Owen