Re: start up cost estimate

From: "Joshua Marsh" <icub3d(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: start up cost estimate
Date: 2006-11-18 14:27:09
Lists: pgsql-performance
On 11/18/06, rakesh kumar <trakeshkumar(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi ,
>          I wanted to know , how the start up cost is computed in
> postgresql . can u give me an example to illustrate the estimation of start
> up cost .
>                                                               thanku raa .

It would be very helpful to have a lot more information.  Some questions
that come to mind:

Approximately how many records will you be storing?
How big do you think your biggest tables will be?
How frequently will your biggest tables be accessed (x/day, x/second,
x/week)?
Will those accesses be read only, or read/write?
How important is availability vs. cost?
Who is your favorite Irish folk singer?