calulating with money type impossible ?

From: De Moudt Walter <wdemoudt(at)planetinternet(dot)be>
To: psql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-sql <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: calulating with money type impossible ?
Date: 1999-11-05 21:58:19
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-sql

Hi,

This is kind of a repost, because i didn't get any answers on it last
time :-(

Trying to find a way to calculate with the money-type. The kind of :

select (sales_price/transport_costs) as trans_rate from account_details;

to get the ratio of to amounts of money. The result should be a float!

Well, it doesn't seem possible.
In pg_proc table i found 2 procedures possibly usable for money
conversion:
cash_out(): takes one money argument, delivers a int4
cash_in() : takes one argument (don't know what kind) and delivers a
money-type.

Here's what i got with it :

bookbiz=> select cash_in(20);
before or while processing the request.
We have lost the connection to the backend, so further processing is
impossible. Terminating.
\* so i reconnect \*
[walter(at)localhost walter]$ psql bookbiz

bookbiz=> select cash_out('$25.00');
cash_out
---------
136509096
(1 row)
bookbiz=> select cash_out('$25.00');
cash_out
---------
136508128
(1 row)
bookbiz=>
(2 different results for the same argument)
So cash_in kicks me out, an cash_out just delivers nonsens.

I'm using postgresql server version 6.5.2.1
and client 6.5.1.2, RPM-versions on RedHat 6.0.

Has any-one done better with money (on postgres) ?
Please let me know, if it isn't possible as well.. then i just
change my money-fields to floats

Thanks

De Moudt Walter.