Re: Installation question

From: Eugene Chiu <echiu(at)iname(dot)com>
To: pgsql-questions(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Installation question
Date: 1999-10-30 14:50:47
Lists: pgsql-general

Roland Roberts wrote:

> echiu> Hi all, attached is the output file when I run MAKE INSTALL using
> echiu> POSTGRESQL user account. I got can not make directory but when I
> echiu> manually executed the command, it worked. Why? How do I fix this
> echiu> problem? Any pointer is appreciated.
>
> Ummm, you may need to install as root unless you first (as root) create
> the top-level install directory (/usr/local/pgsql from your make log)
> and chown it to postgresql (or whatever your postgres account is).
>
> roland

Thanks roland for replying. I've actually done it twice, the first time is to
follow the installation instruction published by postgresql. It asked me to
create a postgresql user account and group and create the top-level install
directory using them. The second time I actually use root to do everything....
Same results for both installation.... Strange... Any idea?

Thanks again!

Eugene