Re: bytea and text

From: Syan Tan <kittylitter(at)people(dot)net(dot)au>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: bytea and text
Date: 2009-11-28 06:24:15
Lists: pgsql-novice
here's a quote from the postgresql documentation

Backslash characters (\) can be used in the COPY data to quote data characters that might otherwise be taken as
row or column delimiters. In particular, the following characters must be preceded by a backslash if they appear
as part of a column value: backslash itself, newline, carriage return, and the current delimiter character.

So if I scan a field value ( say a big buffer to hold an entire image), and have a second buffer to copy
an escaped image string to , and I read one of the 4 characters mentioned above, and insert a backslash
into the destination buffer, and then continue copying into the second buffer, I should end up with a string
that I can put inside a comma-separated text file ( so comma = the current delimiter character ), and then
I can bulk load a huge text file containing thousands of images without problems using COPY..FROM , is that
correct ?

On Sat 28/11/09 01:29 , "Tom Lane" tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us sent: