SQL_ASCII Java Access

From: "Allan Huffman" <huffmana(at)ppc(dot)pims(dot)org>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: SQL_ASCII Java Access
Date: 1999-10-12 14:27:59
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
Dear Fellow Developers and Hackers,

After installing PostgreSQL 6.5.2 (on my Sparc 7) and configured as
follows:
“--with-mb=UNICODE”

I am getting a truncation of some varchar columns.  When accessing a
PostgreSQL  table1.  I get this error in my postmaster window:

“ERROR: Conversion between UNICODE and SQL_ASCII is not supported”

And this error in my DOS window (which Visual Café Database Edition uses
to run applets from using pg JDBC 1.1.1.x):

“The maximum width size for column 2 is: 17”

table1:
!     Field          !     Type         !  Length     !
! data_code     !     varchar()    !    15       !
! data_field      !     varchar()    !    43       !

>From my PC Java GUI, running in Visual Café, I am able to enter a full
15 character string into data_code but I get the following error when I
try to enter a 43 (or greater than 17) character string into data_field:

“Invalid value for the column data”

and it truncates the data I enter to 17 characters.

>From a psql prompt on the same Sun that is running the postmaster I can
change (select) the table without the truncation and no mention of
UNICODE!

+__________________________________________________________________________+

Without UNICODE configured I got the following errors:

>From the Postmaster:

"ERROR: MultiByte strings (MB) must be enabled to use this function."

>From Visual Café:

"The maximum width size for column 2 is: 17"

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated, even a work around.  What I
want to do is just access SQL_ASCII and leave UNICODE alone!

Sincerely,

Allan

Time is the fire in which we burn -- Star Trek

pgsql-interfaces by date

Next:From: Cristiano VerondiniDate: 1999-10-12 16:16:42
Subject: Postgres ODBC and PostgreSQL 6.5.2
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: [INTERFACES] Next release is 7.0(?)