Re: [HACKERS] commitfest.postgresql.org

From: Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] commitfest.postgresql.org
Date: 2009-07-09 19:14:54
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-www
2009/7/10 Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>:

>> We don't AFAIK collect data about these events.  However, we could
>> have certain actions trigger the creation of an automated comment
>> (e.g., "Status changed to Committed by petere") and let the
>> aforementioned comment view suffice for a "history".
>
> Can you put in a simple event-recording trigger for all changes?  We can
> dress it up for easy viewing later, but if the data isn't collected, it will
> be impossible to recreate.

I could, but a db trigger would have no awareness of which user made
the change.  That would make the information substantially less useful
IMO.

I've got access to the database but I'm not in a position to make
changes to the app frontend.  I'm therefore inclined to wait the
prophesied couple days for Robert's proper fix for this problem than
dropping in a trigger which will only tell us part of the story.

Bear in mind that CF activity over the past week has been in the realm
of 0-4 changes per 24 hours, so it's not like we are talking about
huge amounts of throughput here.  Making up the bulk of those changes
were new patches coming in (which involves adding a comment so the
change is already tracked) and patches getting committed (which is
stored in -hackers and version control anyway).

Cheers,
BJ