to_timestamp() changes in 8.4 release notes

From: Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: to_timestamp() changes in 8.4 release notes
Date: 2009-04-19 05:12:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Hi guys,

I noticed the following item under "Observe the following
incompatibilities" in the 8.4 release notes (E.1.2.4.1.)

  * Require to_timestamp() input to match meridian (AM/PM) and era
(BC/AD) format designations with respect to presence of periods
(Brendan Jurd)

    For example, input value AD now does not match format string A.D..

This is actually not a change in behaviour.  AM/PM and BC/AD have
always required you to use the correct format string w.r.t. periods.
I'm sorry if the comments in my patch submission were vague on this.

I think this item should be pulled from the "incompatibilities" list.
The preceding item (about not having to match case on AM/PM and BC/AD
anymore) is still valid.

Cheers,
BJ