Re: [DOCS] the sad state of our FAQs

From: Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [DOCS] the sad state of our FAQs
Date: 2009-03-07 22:18:46
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-www

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 9:04 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> The one good thing that having the FAQs in CVS does for us is make it
> fairly easy to have version-specific FAQs.  I don't think we've really
> exploited that capability, except in the indirect sense that we simply
> stopped updating back branches' FAQs (which hardly seems ideal).  So
> losing it doesn't seem like a showstopper objection to me.  Still, it's
> something that might be nice to preserve if we can.

There's nothing stopping us from maintaining per-version FAQs in a
wiki environment. We just put up a page for "FAQ 7.4", "FAQ 8.0" and
so on, with "FAQ" always redirecting to the page for the latest stable
release.

Although to be frank I think the value of per-version FAQs is dubious.
I would be totally okay with seeing the back-branch FAQs abandoned in
favour of the One FAQ (to rule them all, etc).

Perhaps, instead of back-branch FAQs which are bound to be mostly an
old copy of the One FAQ, we could have some kind of "Things to Note If
You're Running an Older Version" article.

Cheers,
BJ