Re: Split up the wiki TODO page?

From: "Brendan Jurd" <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Greg Smith" <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Split up the wiki TODO page?
Date: 2008-08-26 17:41:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 3:31 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> "Brendan Jurd" <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> The size of the page really isn't something we should be worrying
>> about.  As Greg points out, we have the usual wiki per-section edit
>> capability, so in practice we will almost never need to edit the whole
>> page at once.  The only reasons for doing so are to perform global
>> changes, or alter the intro text.  All day-to-day maintenance of the
>> list, such as adding new items, marking items as "done", etc. should
>> be done via the per-section [edit] links.
>
> Hm, I'd never noticed those --- have they been there long?

It's a standard mediawiki feature.  We had some challenges getting
them to cooperate with our nicely indented subsections, but they've
certainly been there.

> Maybe the above policy should be stated somewhere at the top of the
> page?

Yeah.  I'm starting to think we could do with adding a Help page for
the Todo, analogous to
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/CommitFest:Help.  The Help page would
explain how to take care of the various administrative tasks.  I'd
rather not clutter up the actual Todo page with that sort of thing; it
gets in the way of the people who are just looking to view the list.

I'll go write it up now.

Cheers,
BJ