Re: Split up the wiki TODO page?

From: "Brendan Jurd" <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Greg Smith" <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Split up the wiki TODO page?
Date: 2008-08-26 17:41:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 3:31 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> "Brendan Jurd" <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> The size of the page really isn't something we should be worrying
>> about.  As Greg points out, we have the usual wiki per-section edit
>> capability, so in practice we will almost never need to edit the whole
>> page at once.  The only reasons for doing so are to perform global
>> changes, or alter the intro text.  All day-to-day maintenance of the
>> list, such as adding new items, marking items as "done", etc. should
>> be done via the per-section [edit] links.
> Hm, I'd never noticed those --- have they been there long?

It's a standard mediawiki feature.  We had some challenges getting
them to cooperate with our nicely indented subsections, but they've
certainly been there.

> Maybe the above policy should be stated somewhere at the top of the
> page?

Yeah.  I'm starting to think we could do with adding a Help page for
the Todo, analogous to  The Help page would
explain how to take care of the various administrative tasks.  I'd
rather not clutter up the actual Todo page with that sort of thing; it
gets in the way of the people who are just looking to view the list.

I'll go write it up now.