Re: Commitfest namespacing (was: TODO, FAQs to Wiki?)

From: "Brendan Jurd" <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Commitfest namespacing (was: TODO, FAQs to Wiki?)
Date: 2008-04-21 16:54:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 2:44 AM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:

> Why not use a form for posting new patches that would automatically put it
> on the right page? (I have no idea if you can do that sort of thing using
> mediawiki - it's just what I would do if I were designing a patch submission
> system from scratch).

Well at that point you're basically talking about using a patch tracker =)

As a matter of fact, I'm hoping that managing commitfests via the wiki
will demonstrate what patch tracking can bring to the project, as well
as help illuminate what we would actually require from patch tracking
software. There's been a lot of conjecture on that topic, but putting
the wiki into practice might give us some real empirical results to
mull over.

Being able to submit patches via a web form is one of the more obvious
benefits of a real patch tracker. I'm not aware of any way to
accomplish this in mediawiki without resorting to some nasty script
hackery.

Cheers,
BJ