Re: Installing postgresql on sgi: IpcSemaphoreCreate gives Bad address.

From: baier(at)ip-plus(dot)net
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Installing postgresql on sgi: IpcSemaphoreCreate gives Bad address.
Date: 1999-10-08 11:59:27
Lists: pgsql-ports

Hi Peter

I have the same problem and I have posted several messages already
this is apparently caused by using gcc as a compiler.
Nobody was yet able to tell me how to circumvent the problem
or where I can get a binary version.

The psql and perl client works on my Indy but the database is
no reachable.

Juergen

Peter Schaefer wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm trying to install postgres on an SGI.
> This particular SGI isn't installed well;
> I will appreciate any hint on how to locate the problem.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Symptom:
> Log of trying to start postmaster attached.
> Attempts to run createdb fail.
>
> postgres(at)callas:~$ echo > pgserver.log
>
> postgres(at)callas:~$ nohup postmaster -i > pgserver.log 2>&1 &
> [1] 245333
>
> postgres(at)callas:~$ less pgserver.log
> IpcSemaphoreCreate: semctl failed (Bad address) id=5
> IpcSemaphoreCreate: semctl failed (Bad address) id=6
>
> postgres(at)callas:~$ ipcs
> IPC status from /dev/kmem as of Wed Oct 6 08:29:37 1999
> T ID KEY MODE OWNER GROUP
> Message Queues:
> Shared Memory:
> m 7 0x0052e2ca --rw------- postgres postgres
> m 8 0x0052e2c1 --rw------- postgres postgres
> m 9 0x0052e2c7 --rw------- postgres postgres
> Semaphores:
> s 5 0x0052e2ce --ra------- postgres postgres
> s 6 0x0052e2cf --ra------- postgres postgres
>
> postgres(at)callas:~$ uname -a
> IRIX64 callas 6.5 04151556 IP27
>
> --
> Peter Schäfer - mailto:schaefer(at)cys(dot)de, schaefer(at)dfu(dot)de

Juergen Baier Phone +41 31 688 87 75
Network Consultant Internet Fax +41 31 688 84 42
Swisscom Data/Multimedia (Unisource Business Networks)
Genfergasse 14
CH-3030 Bern baier(at)ip-plus(dot)net
Switzerland http://www.ip-plus.net