[GENERAL] Re: PostgreSQL vs Mysql comparison

From: Kaare Rasmussen <kar(at)webline(dot)dk>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: [GENERAL] Re: PostgreSQL vs Mysql comparison
Date: 1999-10-07 04:50:41
Lists: pgsql-general

As I remember the MySQL crashme (which is, or at least was, _very_
biased), MySQL had two major plusses - the speed (people always talk
about speed with MySQL) and ODBC / JDBC issues.

Now someone stated that PostgreSQL was just as fast as MySQL with
regards to retrieving data. It would be nice to see that backed up by
some benchmarks. If it's true, I'd expect PostgreSQL to be faster on
some queries and MySQL on others; no DB is better in all cases.

Of course PostgreSQL will be slower on inserts in general, as there is
more to check and more to perform.

But I'm not sure if someone is actively working on enhancing the ODBC
and JDBC drivers? The crashme page listed every little datatype
supported by these interfaces, and it seems to be easy points to make
the PostgreSQL driver up to date.