Constraint Problem

From: Chairudin Sentosa Harjo <chai(at)prima(dot)net(dot)id>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Constraint Problem
Date: 1999-09-30 07:24:33
Lists: pgsql-general

Dear Friends,

I have a very wierd problem. It should be obvious, but I can't
understand why.

I am using Postgresql 6.5.2, SuSe 6.2, Pentium III, Kernel Linux 2.2.10.

Please notice the error, it keeps saying ck_ngetest_disc_pin,
ck_ngetest_disc_country
is the cause of the problem.
I have inserted the correct value, but why keep giving error???

The wierdest part is, when I insert a value to field "disc_all", the
error mentioned
"ck_ngetest_disc_pin" !!!.... If the constraint was violated, the error
message
should be "ck_ngetest_disc_all".

create table ngetest
(
custnum int8 NOT NULL,
first_name varchar(15) NOT NULL,
service_type char NOT NULL,
sex char NOT NULL,
detailed_bill char NOT NULL,
ngetest_status char NOT NULL,
disc_all char,
disc_country char,
disc_pin char,

constraint pk_ngetest PRIMARY KEY (custnum),

constraint ck_ngetest_service_type check
(service_type = 'Y' or
service_type = 'N' or
service_type = 'G' or
service_type = 'M' or
service_type = 'O' or
service_type = 'D'),

constraint ck_ngetest_status check
(ngetest_status = 'A' or
ngetest_status = 'I' or
ngetest_status = 'S' or
ngetest_status = 'T'),

constraint ck_ngetest_disc_all check
(disc_all = 'Y' or
disc_all = 'N'),
constraint ck_ngetest_disc_country check
(disc_country = 'Y' or
disc_country = 'N'),
constraint ck_ngetest_disc_pin check
(disc_pin = 'Y' or
disc_pin = 'N')
);

insert into ngetest
(custnum, first_name, service_type, sex, detailed_bill, ngetest_status,
disc_all)
values
(1,'Bob','Y','M','Y','A','Y');
ERROR: ExecAppend: rejected due to CHECK constraint ck_ngetest_disc_pin

insert into ngetest
(custnum, first_name, service_type, sex, detailed_bill, ngetest_status,
disc_country)
values
(2,'Mike','Y','M','Y','A','Y');
ERROR: ExecAppend: rejected due to CHECK constraint ck_ngetest_disc_pin

insert into ngetest
(custnum, first_name, service_type, sex, detailed_bill, ngetest_status,
disc_pin)
values
ERROR: ExecAppend: rejected due to CHECK constraint
ck_ngetest_disc_country

Regards,
Chairudin Sentosa