Re: [GENERAL] Is there some type of Daemon that can look at pgsql?

From: "Sean W(dot) Ellis" <sean(dot)ellis(at)oscenter(dot)com>
To: Shawn Pursley <shawn(dot)pursley(at)acorncomputers(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Is there some type of Daemon that can look at pgsql?
Date: 1999-09-29 13:21:13
Lists: pgsql-general

Shawn Pursley wrote:

> I'm trying to create a program that would look, at a specified interval of
> every 15 seconds, at a database; if there is a new entry(which would be
> specified as a field called IMSTAT), it would need to start a process of
> copying a .tif file from a local drive and then create a dynamic HTML page
> from this .tif. My end users would be passed an URL of this newly created
> page.
>
> After completing the dynamic page, then I would modify the db records to a
> completed status and then the system would again check to see if any new
> entries existed.
>
> Is pgsql the way that you folks would do this or is there a better way/some
> existing daemon that can monitor pgsql?
>
> We currently run Apache 1.3.6
> Postgres 6.4.2 (I know this needs to be upgraded)
> on a Mandrake 5.2 box (essentially RH 6.0)
>
> Thanks for any and all help,
> Shawn

in crontab have:

*/15 * * * * /usr/local/sbin/runme 1> /dev/null 2> /dev/null

runme can just be a perl script that connects, checks a value, performs
a copy if needed. I do this all the time for automating stuff. I have
stuff that runs every minute instead of 15, but the principal is the
same. If you need the perl code as an example, please let me know.

--
Sean W. Ellis, ASE/CNE 6586538
Office Systems Center, 110 N. Main, Victoria, TX 77901