Re: [GENERAL] Is there some type of Daemon that can look at pgsql?

From: "Sean W(dot) Ellis" <sean(dot)ellis(at)oscenter(dot)com>
To: Shawn Pursley <shawn(dot)pursley(at)acorncomputers(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Is there some type of Daemon that can look at pgsql?
Date: 1999-09-29 13:21:13
Lists: pgsql-general
Shawn Pursley wrote:
> I'm trying to create a program that would look, at a specified interval of
> every 15 seconds, at a database;  if there is a new entry(which would be
> specified as a field called IMSTAT), it would need to start a process of
> copying a .tif file from a local drive and then create a dynamic HTML page
> from this .tif.  My end users would be passed an URL of this newly created
> page.
> After completing the dynamic page, then I would modify the db records to a
> completed status and then the system would again check to see if any new
> entries existed.
> Is pgsql the way that you folks would do this or is there a better way/some
> existing daemon that can monitor pgsql?
> We currently run Apache 1.3.6
> Postgres 6.4.2 (I know this needs to be upgraded)
> on a Mandrake 5.2 box (essentially RH 6.0)
> Thanks for any and all help,
> Shawn

in crontab have:

*/15 * * * * /usr/local/sbin/runme 1> /dev/null 2> /dev/null

runme can just be a perl script that connects, checks a value, performs
a copy if needed.  I do this all the time for automating stuff.  I have
stuff that runs every minute instead of 15, but the principal is the
same.  If you need the perl code as an example, please let me know.

Sean W. Ellis, ASE/CNE 6586538
Office Systems Center, 110 N. Main, Victoria, TX 77901
UNIX: Because reboots are for hardware upgrades...