Re: [INTERFACES] webserver interface

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Craig Potter <mikado(at)omni(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] webserver interface
Date: 1999-09-27 14:59:40
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Craig Potter wrote:

> I am sure that this question has been asked many times, but I am new to this
> list and am searching for answers....
>
> How to I get Postgres on RH linux 6.2, Apache, talking to web page forms. I
> am sure there is software for this. Can anyone recommend anything & give
> tips on their method of doing this.

You certainly CAN use mod_php with apache (mod-php with the pgsql module
comes with RedHat 6.0).

If you don't have a religious attachment to apache, you can use
AOLserver, which has a killer tcl API, and directly supports
PostgreSQL. I am a little biased towards it, because that is what I
have used for over two years -- it is quick and relatively painless to
learn the AOLserver-enhanced tcl. Version 3.0b3 is available now in
both source and binary form -- check www.aolserver.com for details.
AOLserver is one of the most scalable webservers on the planet -- it is
right now fielding over 28,000 hits per _second_ at AOL's server farm
(more than one server, of course....). AOLserver is multithreaded, and
fast. And don't let the initials AOL make you retch -- AOL just bought
the company, Navisoft, that built the server originally -- it is not
AOL's creation. The original Navisoft people are still there at the
helm of this server.

If you prefer to stay with Apache, mod_php is , AFAIK, one of the best
ways of going about it -- it is very similar to how AOLserver does it.