Re: [HACKERS] PG_UPGRADE status?

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] PG_UPGRADE status?
Date: 1999-09-08 19:04:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> pg_upgrade will not work in converting from <= 6.4.* to 6.5.* because
> the on-disk date format changed in 6.5. Hopefully, 6.6 will allow
> pg_upgrade for 6.5.* databases. We try not to change the on-disk
> format, but sometimes we have to. MVCC required it for 6.5.*.

Ok, answers my question. It would be nice to be able to say:
pg_upgrade --source-pgdata=/var/lib/pgsql-old --pgdata=/var/lib/pgsql
and have any version PostgreSQL database converted to the newest, but
maybe that's a pipe dream. Sure would make upgrades easier, on
everybody, not just RedHatters -- such as those who have large amounts
of large objects.

If I were a better C coder, and had more experience with the various
versions' on-disk formats, I'd be happy to try to tackle it myself.
But, I'm not that great of a C coder, nor do I know the data structures
well enough. Oh well.

Thanks much!

Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio