Re: [INTERFACES] psqlODBC/MS Access

From: "G(dot) Anthony Reina" <reina(at)nsi(dot)edu>
To: Adolfo Diaz <adiaz(at)vega(dot)inf(dot)cu>, "interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] psqlODBC/MS Access
Date: 1999-08-25 21:39:20
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Adolfo Diaz wrote:

> I do not want to disturbe you, because I can not help you, but I am
> looking for the postODBC drivers. I will be so glad of you if you will had
> the kindness to send me the needing files and how to configure the ODBC
> connection.
>
> Thanks,
> Adolfo Diaz

Sure. You can find the postODBC driver on the www.postgresql.org site
(ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/odbc/latest/postdrv.exe). The postdrv.exe
should be a self-extracting zip file which will auto-install the first time
you run it on your Windows machine. Once that's installed, go to the Windows
Start->Settings->Control Panel->32 bit ODBC. Hit the button called 'Add' to
add a new ODBC connection. You should get a window that asks for which driver
you want to use. Toward the bottom of the window, select the driver called
PostgreSQL (courtesy of Insight Distribution Systems). Then the postODBC
driver should cause another window to pop up asking you where the database is
located (IP address), its name, etc. You'll also have to configure your
$POSTGRES/.odbc.ini file on the database server. There's a sample file with
directions at http://www.postgresql.org/doxlist.html (the Programmer's
Manual). That file I think will allow you to control whether the database can
be written to over the ODBC connection. Once you have this done, all of ODBC
programs in windows should recognize this database.

The MS Access good directions in the on-line help about linking to an
external source via ODBC. Once you've got the postgres driver working, it
should be a piece of cake from there.

Let me know if you have any problems.

-Tony