Re: [HACKERS] Re: [PORTS] RedHat6.0 & Alpha

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Ryan Kirkpatrick <rkirkpat(at)nag(dot)cs(dot)colorado(dot)edu>
Cc: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-ports(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, debian-alpha(at)lists(dot)debian(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: [PORTS] RedHat6.0 & Alpha
Date: 1999-07-31 02:54:05
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-ports
> > I just want to comment on what you are saying about generating a Debian
> > source package.  There will be a problem, because you are proposing to
> > provide source that will be different from the main 6.5.1 source; however,
> > the Debian archive assumes that source is identical across all architectures.

The RH RPM distribution has the same constraints. I have hopes that I
can take the v6.5.1 tarball, Ryan's patches, a test on RH Alpha, and
then validate them for the i386 (and sparc, with a volunteer tester)
architectures. If that flys, then perhaps we should commit to a v6.5.2
which *does* contain these changes, but imho we should postpone the
discussion of that until we have shown exactly what it takes.

If validating on i386 succeeds, we can also do a v6.5.1+patches build
of an RPM, and presumably the Debian packaging could work this way
too. So it doesn't absolutely require a commit back to the Postgres
cvs branch if we don't have a consensus on that.

                         - Thomas

--
Thomas Lockhart				lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu
South Pasadena, California