Re: [INTERFACES] [ANN] pg.el v0.2 -- Emacs Lisp interface to PostgreSQL

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Eric Marsden <emarsden(at)mail(dot)dotcom(dot)fr>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] [ANN] pg.el v0.2 -- Emacs Lisp interface to PostgreSQL
Date: 1999-07-21 13:53:24
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
> pg.el is a socket-level interface to PostgreSQL for emacs (text
> editor extraordinaire). The module is capable of type coercions from a
> range of SQL types to the equivalent Emacs Lisp type. It currently
> supports neither crypt or Kerberos authentication, nor large objects.
> The code (version 0.2) is available under GNU GPL from
>    <URL:http://www.chez.com/emarsden/downloads/pg.el>
> Please note that this is a programmer's API, and doesn't provide any
> form of user interface.

Neat stuff! Just curious:

1) it looks lisp-y, but I didn't look very closely; how much does this
code resemble that for other lisp packages such as Allegro?

2) you are distributing it under GPL. No problem with that, but if you
were amenable to distributing under a BSD-style license we could
include it in the main Postgres distribution. Is that a possibility?
It would be nice to have the foundation for another language interface
for folks to work with.

Thanks again for the code. If the url you published is a good
long-term reference, then I'll add your introductory mail message to
the docs.

Regards.

                      - Thomas

--
Thomas Lockhart				lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu
South Pasadena, California