[Fwd: [PORTS] Port Bug Report: parse error not detected on unterminated quote]

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Postgres Porting List <ports(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: [Fwd: [PORTS] Port Bug Report: parse error not detected on unterminated quote]
Date: 1999-06-30 15:07:05
Lists: pgsql-ports

(back on list)

Bruce, the problem is revealed with the "single-line input" mode of
psql. I'm a bit suprised that the backend parser doesn't catch this,
but I see why now: scan.l goes into a "string accumulate" mode when it
sees a single quote, and doesn't actually send a token back to gram.y
until it sees the closing quote. If EOT comes first, then there is no
flag to tell gram.y (or whatever is the right thing) that there is
still an active token being worked on.

Not certain yet how to fix this; the "string accumulator" is currently
local to scan.l and I'm not sure if scan.l can provide code to check
this after it runs out of characters to process. I do have a lex/yacc
book, but if anyone has some hints...

- Thomas

South Pasadena, California