Re: [ADMIN] float4

From: Don Garrett <garrett(at)bgb-consulting(dot)com>
Cc: "'pgsql-admin(at)hub(dot)org'" <pgsql-admin(at)hub(dot)org>, "'pgsql-sql(at)hub(dot)org'" <pgsql-sql(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] float4
Date: 1999-06-28 20:30:46
Lists: pgsql-sql
  You shouldn't use a float at all for exact amounts. Floats handle
arbitrary precision, but do it rounding off values somewhat. The way the
round off works is based on the (base 2) internal representation and so
it never quite seems to make sense in decimal. It's possible on some
machines/float formats to have "if (1.0 + 1.0 = 2.0)" evaluate to false.

  When I first started programming, I did a very simple custom
accounting package using floats.... and had to go back and rewrite all
of it.

  You will do better to use integers (no rounding at all) and consider
the contents to be the number of pennies involved, not dollars.

--
Don Garrett                                          dgarrett(at)acm(dot)org
BGB Consulting                  http://www.bgb-consulting.com/garrett