Re: [HACKERS] solution for psql segmentation fault ??

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: sean dreilinger <sean(at)savvysearch(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] solution for psql segmentation fault ??
Date: 1999-06-27 04:18:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> i've scoured the mail list logs and found many requests for assistance
> with this problem:
> ``i just built the new pgsql release and now psql quits with a
> segmentation fault every time i run it''

Methinks you are overstating the case a bit; you didn't need to, since
we would have tried to help anyway ;)

> but can not find any answer - maybe all these people worked it out on
> their own or abandoned postgres.

??

> i'm building postgres ~6.5 from cvs on intel/pentium redhat linux
> boxes with glibc 2.x (libc6) readline 2.2.1 and linux kernel 2.2.10+
> using pgcc (egcs 1.1.2).

A RH-5.2/glibc-2.0.x/linux-2.0.36 machine is the "standard" platform
for Postgres. I haven't bumped to the 2.2 kernel, but afaik there are
no fundamental problems. Oleg in Russia was testing bleeding edge
kernels and Postgres some time ago, but I'm pretty sure that things
settled down for him.

The almost deafening silence to your inquiry might indicate that folks
can't see what the problem might be, since they have been successful
themselves. I'm not sure what vintage cvs tree you are using; if it
predates the official v6.5 release then all bets are off since some
newly reported bugs were being fixed (and re-fixed) almost up to the
release date.

- Thomas

South Pasadena, California