Re: [INTERFACES] Performance

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Steven Bradley <sbradley(at)llnl(dot)gov>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Performance
Date: 1999-06-24 02:02:23
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

> Is it unrealistic to expect Postgres to insert on the order of 100
> records per second on a Pentium 400 MHz/SCSI class machine running
> Linux? (Solaris on a comparable platform has about 1/2 the
> performance)

I'd expect roughly equivalent performance on different platforms. I
measured the insert performance a couple of years ago and found
roughly 50 inserts per second on my dual processor, 180MHz PPro
system, which was the same performance as I had on an Ingres
installation on a medium-speed Alpha/OSF-1 box.

Without knowing more about your memory and disk setup, I'll guess that
you can use more memory, can bump buffer size by using "-B 1024" or
something similar, and running without mandatory fsync() (use the "-F"
option). However, istm that your system should do better than 10ips
before you invoke "-F", otherwise you'll just be working around
another underlying problem/bottleneck.

Good luck.

- Thomas

South Pasadena, California