Re: [INTERFACES] JDBC:Using Large Objects

From: Steffen Zimmert <szimmert(at)crcg(dot)edu>
To: Peter Mount <petermount(at)it(dot)maidstone(dot)gov(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] JDBC:Using Large Objects
Date: 1999-06-22 21:51:08
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-interfaces

Hi,

> The large object code has been working for some time now, however not
> all of the stream methods work fully.
>
> The best thing is to look at the blobtest and ImageViewer examples in
> the src/interfaces/jdbc/example directory, as they show what methods are
> currently supported.

I looked at the suggested source files and also compiled them. However,
I was not able to run neither Bobtest nor ImageViewer because the same
exception messages occured as in my own application. In addition, I
wrote also a little application based on the source of blobtest and the
exception occurs whenever I try to save a LargeObject. Here's the
source:

// Load the driver
Class.forName("postgresql.Driver");

// Connect to database
System.out.println("Connecting to Database URL = " + url);
db = DriverManager.getConnection(url, usr, pwd);

System.out.println("Connected...Now creating a statement");
stat = db.createStatement();

// Also, get the LargeObjectManager for this connection

System.out.println("Gaining access to LargeObjectApi.");
lom = ((postgresql.Connection)db).getLargeObjectAPI();

// Now create the large object

System.out.println("creating blob");

int oid = lom.create();

System.out.println("Opening "+oid);

LargeObject blob = lom.open(oid);

// Create a new TestObject
System.out.println("Creating a new TestObject...");
TestObject tObject = new TestObject(1);

// Convert TestObject to Byte array
System.out.println("Converting object to byte array...");
byte[] objBytes = objectToBytes(tObject);
System.out.println("Size of byte array: " + objBytes.length);

// Writing byte array to blob
System.out.println("Writing byte array to blob...");
blob.write(objBytes,0,objBytes.length);
^^^^
The following exception occurs here!

Exception caught.
java.sql.SQLException: IOError while reading from backend:
java.io.IOException: The backend has broken the connection. Possibly the
action you have attempted has caused it to close.
java.sql.SQLException: IOError while reading from backend:
java.io.IOException: The backend has broken the connection. Possibly the
action you have attempted has caused it to close.
at postgresql.PG_Stream.ReceiveChar(PG_Stream.java:183)
at postgresql.fastpath.Fastpath.fastpath(Compiled Code)
at postgresql.fastpath.Fastpath.fastpath(Fastpath.java:185)
at
postgresql.largeobject.LargeObject.write(LargeObject.java:147)
at
postgresql.PreparedStatement.setBytes(PreparedStatement.java:295)
at basic.<init>(basic.java:45)
at basic.main(basic.java:107)

Are there perhaps any parameters you have to specify during the
installation process of the database to explicitly allow the storage of
large objects?
Any help is welcome because I really don't know what to do now! :-((

--
Best Regards,
Steffen Zimmert

Steffen Zimmert
Fraunhofer Center for Research in Computer Graphics
Providence, Rhode Island, USA
email: szimmert(at)crcg(dot)edu