Re: [INTERFACES] JDBC and character sets

From: David Warnock <david(at)sundayta(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp
Cc: "pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] JDBC and character sets
Date: 1999-06-22 13:54:11
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Tatsuo,

Many thanks for your reply.

I think I saw from the list of developers that you wrote a lot of the
multiu-byte code. Is that correct? If so my grateful thanks.

Are there any limitations or gotchas about using unicode everywhere?

Specifically

1. Column length. Is this measured in unicode characters or do I need to
increase the length of Varchars? ie is a varchar(10) certain to hold 10
unicode characters?

2. Indexing. What sort order will I get from an index or an order by for
unicode characters. Can this be customised. Generally I try to do any
really important sorting in Java where I can use the correct sort order
for the locale.

3. Upper/lowercase. I have been using separate columns for uppercase
versions of names etc again so that the case changes can be done by the
client which will know the correct rules for the locale where the data
is entered. What do upper/lower case functions in Postgresql do with
unicode?

4. Are there any limitations on what I use to write triggers? Can all
the different ways work reliably with unicode?

Many many thanks.

Dave

--
David Warnock