Upgrade path from 8.2.9 to 9.0

From: Aaron <niccoli00(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Upgrade path from 8.2.9 to 9.0
Date: 2010-10-28 19:11:52
Lists: pgsql-novice

I need to upgrade my postgresql server, and I'm curious what the best path to
get to 8.4 or 9.0 might be.

I see a lot of upgrade guides from one major release to the next major release,
and I am curious if I need to do this one release at a time, or is there a
shorter path to get to the latest version.

Is there a list of changes to data types that might help me determine
any incompatibilities that might be an issue (if any)?

Aaron A.