libpgeasy symbol conflicts with libc ... libpgeasy loses

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: libpgeasy symbol conflicts with libc ... libpgeasy loses
Date: 2000-07-16 22:15:33
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
I had some trouble running findoidjoins today, which I eventually
tracked down to the fact that where it thinks it's calling libpgeasy's
fetch() subroutine, it was actually getting bound to the DBM library's
fetch() routine, which is in libc on my platform ... and the Makefile
for findoidjoins does -lc before -lpgeasy.

I counsel picking a less-generic name for libpgeasy's function.
We could fix this particular lossage with Makefile tweaking,
but this program won't be the last one to get burnt if you stick
with the conflicting name.

You might also want to check for conflicts against the other
functions exported by <dbm.h>:

     int dbminit(const char *file);
     datum fetch(datum key);
     int store(datum key, datum content);
     int delete(datum key);
     datum firstkey(void);
     datum nextkey(datum key);
     int dbmclose(void);

pgsql-interfaces by date

Previous:From: Igor GavriloffDate: 2000-07-16 21:56:46
Subject: OID on triggers