Re: [HACKERS] Backend sent 0x45 type while idle

From: Trever Adams <trever_Adams(at)bigfoot(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Backend sent 0x45 type while idle
Date: 1999-05-31 19:23:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> Trever Adams <trever_Adams(at)bigfoot(dot)com> writes:
> > did a pgdump of the database (cannot remember command line options...
> > data and schema I remember that much). I then loaded it into a newly
> > created database on the new machine.
>
> > I get the error above (or something VERY similar...).
>
> When exactly? While trying to reload the pg_dump script, or during
> subsequent usage of the database?

Ah, sorry. I could have down a query, but the machine went down. It is
my program that gets this. It is after the first query I believe.

> > I have posted a
> > bug report, but I want to know what the heck the message really means.
> > What is type 0x45? Does this mean my app has a problem or?
>
> It's probably a symptom of a backend bug :-(. It means that libpq
> wasn't expecting a backend message when it got one. 0x45 = 'E' which
> would be the start of an Error message, which ordinarily shouldn't be
> emitted except in response to a frontend query. Try looking in the
> postmaster log --- the error message should be logged there as well.
> Knowing what the backend is trying to tell us would be helpful...

Ok, this is going to sound very dumb: Where is this log kept? Is it
kept through syslogd? If so, I apparently have it turned off somewhere.

> Another possibility is that the frontend and backend got out of sync,
> which is particularly likely during COPY commands --- does your pg_dump
> script use COPY or INSERT to reload data into tables?
>
> regards, tom lane

Again, it isn't using pg_dump or pgsql. Just my program. I do insert
and update from my program. The rest is all select. No copy. I will
get a good ltrace/strace, modify some private data that WILL show in it,
and then post it to you.

Thanks for the help,
Trever