case insensitive search in a column

From: Roland Dirlewanger <rd(at)dr15(dot)cnrs(dot)fr>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: case insensitive search in a column
Date: 1999-05-25 14:45:58
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hope the following problem is related enough to interfaces ...

I'm looking for the most efficient way to look through a PGSQL database
with a case insensitive search.

I tried the following queries :
1. select * from mybase where myattr like 'word%';
2. select * from mybase where myattr ~* '^word';

The first one is case-sensitive. The second one matches my needs but is
about 5 or 6 times slower than the first one.

Before I start to convert the whole database in either lowercase or
uppercase, is there a way to fasten up case insensitive searches for
words a the begining of a column or even in the middle of a row ?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

--
Roland Dirlewanger
CNRS - Délégation Aquitaine et Poitou-Charentes

Mél : rd(at)dr15(dot)cnrs(dot)fr, Tél : 05.57.35.58.52, Fax : 05.57.35.58.01