Re: [GENERAL] Problems with '||' concatenation operator.

From: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Problems with '||' concatenation operator.
Date: 1999-05-18 17:29:08
Lists: pgsql-general

Stuart -
I think this is a consequence of the internal representations of text
and varchar and char being identical, so that the cast finctions think
there's nothing to do.
I think this is fixed in 6.5. A work around for 6.4 is to apply
afunction that does nothing to the text: I've used btrim() in the past
(since I usually want to get rid of trailing whitespace anyway:

test=> select btrim(chromosome) || btrim(arm) as locus from experiment;
locus
-----
22q
17p
(2 rows)

Ross

--
Ross J. Reedstrom, Ph.D., <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer