Re: pg_autovacuum crashes when query fails for temp

From: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
To: "Thomas Swan" <tswan(at)idigx(dot)com>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Jeff Boes" <jboes(at)nexcerpt(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, matthew(at)zeut(dot)net
Subject: Re: pg_autovacuum crashes when query fails for temp
Date: 2004-04-20 18:19:09
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Should pg_autovacuum be vacuuming temporary tables?

This is a good question, and I would like some opinions from some other
people more informed than I.

> Secondly, why would
> a temporary table for another session be visible to pg_autovacuum? I
> know these may sound like stupid questions, but I'm a little shocked
> that it found a temp table. Did someone make a permanent table, delete
> it, and pg_autovacuum found it in between those operations?

I will look into this when I have time, it certainly would be possible
that pg_autovacuum could be tripped up by a sequence of events like you
describe above. The more general problem is that it shouldn't crash even
if it's vacuuming tables it shouldn't.

Matthew