Re: copy

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Clifton Zama <csz(at)jhb(dot)ucs(dot)co(dot)za>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: copy
Date: 2006-01-31 15:00:26
Lists: pgsql-novice

Clifton Zama <csz(at)jhb(dot)ucs(dot)co(dot)za> writes:
> Please correct : copy tmp_table from supplier_merch.dat with delimiter '|';

> ERROR: parser: parse error at or near "table" at character 6.

Are you sure you transcribed the command accurately? The only thing I
see wrong with it is that you didn't quote the file name, but the error
message is not pointing at that. I can duplicate the error message by
inserting the word "table", eg

regression=# copy table foo from '/tmp/myfile';
ERROR: parser: parse error at or near "table" at character 6
regression=#

BTW, syntax error messages have not been spelled this way since Postgres
7.3, so the server you are talking to is older than you think. It's
certainly not PG 8.0.