Re: cygwin + postgres 7.1 + tcl support

From: s0lao(at)netscape(dot)net (S(dot) L(dot))
To: jaewh(at)email(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: cygwin + postgres 7.1 + tcl support
Date: 2001-05-14 06:19:28
Lists: pgsql-ports

[actually I'm very happy now admin-ing my 7.1 with pgaccess, after tweaking near this problem a couple of hours]
"Jae-Woong Hwnag" <jaewh(at)email(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi, all
>
> Somehow, I can not compile postgres 7.1 with tcl support using cygwin.
> I am getting the below error messages:
>
> --
> dlltool --export-all --output-def pgtcl.def pgtcl.o pgtclCmds.o pgtclId.o
> dllwrap -o pgtcl.dll --dllname pgtcl.dll --def pgtcl.def pgtcl.o pgtclCmds.o
> pgt
> clId.o
> ../../../src/utils/dllinit.o  -lcygipc -lcrypt -L../../../src/interfaces/
> libpq -lpq -L/usr/lib -L/usr/local/lib -lcrypt

It's obvious you don't link libtclXX.a (i.e. you don't have a "-ltclXX.a", where XX is the tcl/tk version installed with cygwin). Configure doesn't seem to add this automatically, even if you passed a --with-tcl=DIR option. Solutions are:

1. You add -ltclXX.a by hand to dllwrap command line
2. You don't install the binary distro of tcl/tk that comes with cygwin, as it is a mingw32 one, not a cygwin, as PostgreSQL should become. You either build your own cygwin version for tcl/tk or pick an already built one. [... where the discussion becomes OT, the cygwin port of tcl/tk could exist in two flavours, the MS windowing environment or the X window one, bla, bla]

> pgtcl.o(.text+0xf9):pgtcl.c: undefined reference to `Tcl_CreateCommand'
> pgtcl.o(.text+0x113):pgtcl.c: undefined reference to `Tcl_CreateCommand'
> pgtcl.o(.text+0x12d):pgtcl.c: undefined reference to `Tcl_CreateCommand'
>
> I would appreciate if somebody can point how to compile postgres 7.1 with
> tcl
> using cygwin.
>
> Thanks,
> Jae