Re: Geometric Elimination

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: Paul Matthews <plm(at)netspace(dot)net(dot)au>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Geometric Elimination
Date: 2009-08-21 14:41:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> If you want index support, you need to go the whole way, and setup an
> appropriate operator class for (box,point).

No, I think he's doing the right thing by adding these cross-type
operators "loose" in the opfamily.  An operator class is the subset
of an opfamily that's *essential* to the functioning of an index
on a particular datatype, and cross-type ops almost by definition
are not that.  I suspect the missing piece is to add cases to the
relevant consistent() function(s).