advice on buying sun hardware to run postgres

From: Eric Enockson <eric(at)broken(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: advice on buying sun hardware to run postgres
Date: 1999-04-26 02:46:28
Lists: pgsql-general
	I am going to buying a sun server to run postgres
on as a backend database server for a www site.  Does anyone
have suggestions on what to buy?  Does anyone have
advice on running postgres on solaris or suggestions not to?
My budget is 5k to 10k but i'm looking for a machine that
can scale cpus and memory.
	The sun enterprise 5 looks nice but absurdly comes
with ide discs and doesn't seem to scale cpus.  Seems i
have to go with an enterprise 250 in order to get multiple
cpus.  enterprise 250 is in my budget of 10k but you certainly
don't have to pay that much for multiple cpus on intel machines.

	Does anyone think i could get just as much running postgres
on a dual pent III with linux or FreeBSD as i could on a sun enterprise
250?

pgsql-general by date

Next:From: Tim PerdueDate: 1999-04-26 02:47:22