Re: question: knopixx and postgresql on flash drive

From: Mark <sendmailtomark(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: question: knopixx and postgresql on flash drive
Date: 2007-03-28 14:46:40
Lists: pgsql-general

Ideally, I'd like to have all postgresql related files on flush
drive. and OS on another device (CD). Database data will be small and
I don't think I will run into the problem with a space.

But how can I install postgresql (including all libraries) on flash
drive? I remember that 7.4.X rpms always get installed into /usr
which is ramdrive in my case. Is it possible?

Thanks,
Mark
--- Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On 3/23/07, Mark <sendmailtomark(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:
> > I would like to use postgresql with knopixx, Sounds like a simple
> > idea :-) and I would like to get full version of postgresql
> stored on
> > flash drive.
> >
> > I remeber I've seen postgresql tar files before, but do not
> recall
> > the location - can anybody point?
> >
> > Also, how big (in MB) postgresql takes after install?
> >
> > If there is any better way to have postgresql installed on usb
> drive
> > and have it executebale from lnopixx - please let me know
>
> postgresql is quite small for full installation, maybe 30mb or less
> (on mine is 25mb for /usr/local/pgsql). for extreme situations you
> may want to explore .exe compression. I would suggest compile from
> source because then you can omit ssl which you probably don't need,
> etc, and contrib, etc.
>
> maybe instead of knoppix you can consider distro optmized for
> thumb:
> http://flashlinux.org.uk/.
>
> I disagree with others, postgresql on flash drive will not
> necessarily
> suck, although it will eventually wear out a flash device
> presumably...<2.0 usb will be painful however. Ideally you can
> mount
> disk storage from the computer. It is fun experiment at the very
> least. good luck!
>
> merlin

Get your own web address.