RE: AW: Postgres Replication

From: "Mikheev, Vadim" <vmikheev(at)SECTORBASE(dot)COM>
To: "'Darren Johnson'" <djohnson(at)greatbridge(dot)com>, The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: RE: AW: Postgres Replication
Date: 2001-06-12 17:30:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Here are some disadvantages to using a "trigger based" approach:
>
> 1) Triggers simply transfer individual data items when they
> are modified, they do not keep track of transactions.

I don't know about other *async* replication engines but Rserv
keeps track of transactions (if I understood you corectly).
Rserv transfers not individual modified data items but
*consistent* snapshot of changes to move slave database from
one *consistent* state (when all RI constraints satisfied)
to another *consistent* state.

> 4) The activation of triggers in a database cannot be easily
> rolled back or undone.

What do you mean?

Vadim