Re: Holes in the install process

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: kogorman(at)pacbell(dot)net
Cc: PGSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Holes in the install process
Date: 2000-10-23 03:30:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Kevin O'Gorman" <kogorman(at)pacbell(dot)net> writes:
> For one thing, has anybody recently read the stuff that prints at the
> end of a 'make install'?

Yeah, it's pretty out-of-date. Someone or other had promised to update
it (Peter E. I think).

> For another the INSTALL document is a bit coy about what happens when
> you install as root. If you have Perl configured, the process creates
> at least one file that will cause problems if you later try a 'make'
> as non-root.

"At least one file" isn't very helpful. If you want these things fixed,
how about *specifics*? Patches would be even better ;-). (The same
goes for documentation shortcomings, btw.)

> I did NOT configure multibyte support. This caused restore to fail
> because one of the very early commands was setting the US-ASCII
> encoding. PostgreSQL barked at me that multibyte was not supported,
> and the process stopped.

Hmm, I suppose CREATE DATABASE WITH ENCODING 'US-ASCII' had better be
accepted even when multibyte isn't enabled. (Tatsuo, any comment here?)