Re: White paper on very big databases

From: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com
Cc: Jean-Paul Argudo <jean-paul(at)postgresqlfr(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: White paper on very big databases
Date: 2009-02-05 02:23:47
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 12:09 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>wrote:

> Well therein lies the problem. CMD has a customer with a multi-terrabyte
> table (not including the rest of the database) but we can't really talk
> about it :(

IIRC, EnterpriseDB had one customer with over 1TB of data, but they too
would have been hush-hush about it.  When I was consulting, I saw very few
Postgres databases at or over 1TB.  While Postgres can handle fairly large
data sets, it lacks some fairly important VLDB features which is probably
why there are so few people with multi-terabyte PG databases.  Perhaps
JD/Fetter know of more, but I can count the ones I know of at < 10.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Senior DBA
myYearbook.com