Re: Feedback on blog post about Replication Feature decision and its impact

From: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Dirk Riehle" <dirk(at)riehle(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Feedback on blog post about Replication Feature decision and its impact
Date: 2008-06-01 14:56:10
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-hackers
On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 6:21 AM, Dirk Riehle <dirk(at)riehle(dot)org> wrote:
> database startup whose product builds on PostgreSQL. EnterpriseDB adds many
> "enterprise-readiness" features to the basic PostgreSQL product, including
> database replication, and much more. One might argue that it is not in the
> interest of EnterpriseDB to have replication added to PostgreSQL as it
> reduces the differentiation between the free community product and the more
> advanced commercial offering. Why pay for EnterpriseDB if you already get
> what you need from the free version? Won't adding replication to the core
> product reduce EnterpriseDBs sales? This tension seems only to get worse
> when you realize that EnterpriseDB employs several of the core developers of
> PostgreSQL, suggesting a direct conflict of interest when making decisions
> like whether to add replication or not.<p>

Having worked for EnterpriseDB for about three years now, and
understanding that there are several facets of our business model, I
can say that adding these types of features wouldn't hurt us at all.
In fact, they would make some of our work easier, and would be
welcomed.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Sr. Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1324
EnterpriseDB Corporation | fax: 732.331.1301