Re: Feature Request --- was: PostgreSQL Performance Tuning

From: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Harald Armin Massa" <haraldarminmassa(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Carlos Moreno" <moreno_pg(at)mochima(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL Performance" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Feature Request --- was: PostgreSQL Performance Tuning
Date: 2007-04-28 16:54:18
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-performance

On 4/28/07, Harald Armin Massa <haraldarminmassa(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> about your feature proposal: as I learned, nearly all
> Perfomance.Configuration can be done by editing the .INI file and making the
> Postmaster re-read it.

Um, shared_buffers is one of the most important initial parameters to
set and it most certainly cannot be set after startup.

> So, WHY at all should those parameters be guessed at the installation of the
> database?

Because a lot of good assumptions can be made on the initial install.
Likewise, some of the most important parameters cannot be tuned after
startup.

> Maybe there is even a pointy flashy version possible (perhaps even for money
> :) which gives nice graphics and "optimized", like those Windows Optimizers.
> :) I am sure, some DBAs in BIGCOMPs would be thrilled :)

I'd suggest that you not make snide remarks about someone else's
design when your own analysis is somewhat flawed.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1324
EnterpriseDB Corporation | fax: 732.331.1301