Re: integration of pgcluster into postgresql

From: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
Cc: "Chahine Hamila" <chahine(dot)hamila(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: integration of pgcluster into postgresql
Date: 2006-08-26 12:44:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> Second, pgcluster is (AFAIK) command-based replication, which has some
> very, very serious drawbacks. If PostgreSQL were to include a
> replication solution, I'd certainly hope it wouldn't be command-based.

Support of PGCluster-I, which we're discussing here, is being dropped
in favor of the shared-disk PGCluster-II which was demonstrated at the
anniversary conference.  IIRC, PGCluster-I does use command-based
replication but is merged into the parser in such a way as to make it
work quite well--unlike the man-in-the-middle approach taken by
pgpool.

> Finally, pgcluster is very out-of-date. The last version uses 8.0.1 and
> was released on Mar. 7, 2005. If the author can't find the time to
> maintain it, I don't see why that burden should be put on the shoulders
> of this community.

Umm, I don't know where you're looking Jim, but the last update was
February 10, 2006 and it's for PostgreSQL 8.1.1.  Frankly, it has had
a very good track record of development and bug fixes... so let's not
make assumptions on (very large PostgreSQL) projects we're unfamiliar
with.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1300
EnterpriseDB Corporation            | fax: 732.331.1301